The Tesla Mannequin Y rollout is probably not getting the eye the Mannequin 3 rollout received — not even shut — and is clearly overwhelmed by the coronavirus pandemic we’re all struggling by way of (some far more than others). Nonetheless, this has been a extremely anticipated electrical car for years and might be the highest promoting electrical car on this planet earlier than lengthy. It might even turn out to be one of many 10 prime promoting passenger autos on this planet.
So, regardless of our preoccupations proper now, thousands and thousands certainly wish to know extra in regards to the Mannequin Y from early homeowners’ views. One such proprietor is providing a singular and hopefully useful take, as he’s a Tesla Mannequin 3 proprietor as nicely. Dick Amacher, who simply revealed an article on CleanTechnica about his first impressions of the Model Y, will exhibit the automobile and make himself accessible in a webinar to anybody who desires to pepper him with questions … so long as that particular person is a CleanTechnica subscriber and will get the particular hyperlink.
As a taster, listed below are a few of his first ideas in regards to the Mannequin Y from his first day with the electrical SUV:
- Neither Mannequin 3 nor Mannequin Y now comes with HomeLink distant opener included. I’m informed this modification was made throughout 2019 on account of suggestions of low buyer use. Since I do use this characteristic, I needed to order a module from the Tesla on-line retailer for a further $300 plus tax. After I obtain it, a service appointment have to be scheduled for set up. It might be good to have it put in at supply for the comfort of those that need it.
- The Mannequin Y (at the least the Efficiency trim) features a wi-fi cellphone charger within the console and makes use of the USB-C plug situated within the left place.
- The seating place and head room are markedly increased than Mannequin 3, as you’ll count on. I’m nonetheless determining the perfect wheel and seat positions. The upper place offers a greater view, which most drivers appear to love and count on.
- Rear seat leg room appears larger, however the wheelbase of the 2 vehicles is simply barely completely different, so I need to examine it.
- The principle occasion is the hatch. As soon as launched, it raises itself to show a cavernous cargo space. A pushbutton on the underside of the hatch causes it to shut robotically. I think that is nonetheless inconvenient for these standing round 5 ft tall. I’ll ask my spouse to confirm this.
- As famous by others, there are seat again launch switches within the left rear trim panel to fold the seats down with out reaching in by way of the rear aspect doorways. The middle seat again will also be manually lowered to permit lengthy objects to be carried with out sacrificing both rear outer occupant seat.
- Driving dwelling at modest expressway speeds, the consumption undoubtedly is increased than within the Mannequin 3. This was a priority with choosing the 21” wheels and tires, however my selection was to go all in for this automobile. Though the web site nonetheless exhibits this mix with a variety of 280 miles with these wheels, the window sticker offered exhibits a variety of 315 miles, the identical as base wheels. Attention-grabbing? Though I’ve not charged to full capability, it seems that once I do, the indicated vary might be greater than 280 miles however lower than 315 miles. Additionally, the algorithm displaying charging miles per hour appears to indicate about 34 mph on my 40 amp dwelling charger whereas the Mannequin 3 exhibits 39 mph. Thus far, so good.
- As a result of I reserved at reveal, the pricing is just a little decrease than presently. The bottom worth is $490 much less and FSD was priced at $5000.
I’m actually curious to listen to extra in regards to the variations between the Mannequin Y and Mannequin 3 — and which one Dick would select to maintain if he might solely select one!
All images © Dick Amacher