AUTO CENTRAL CHICAGO – September 26, 2021: Each Sunday Larry Nutson, The Chicago Automotive Man and Government Producer, with ready help from senior editor Thom Cannell from The Auto Channel Michigan Bureau, compile The Auto Channel’s
“take” on this previous week’s automotive information, condensed into straightforward to digest information Nuggets.
LEARN MORE: Hyperlinks to full variations of at present’s information nuggets together with 1,000,000 pages of the previous 25 12 months’s automotive information, articles, critiques and archived tales residing in
The Auto Channel Automotive News Library might be discovered by simply copying after which inserting the primary headline into the Information Library Search Field.
Nutson’s Automotive Information Wrap-up – Week Ending September 25, 2021; Under are the previous week’s vital, related, semi-secret, or snappy automotive information, opinions and insider again tales introduced as
expertly crafted easy-to-digest information nuggets.
* Information from AutoPacific’s recent EV Study exhibits that buyer demand for pure battery-electric automobiles and plug-in hybrids is anticipated to steadily rise whereas demand for conventional hybrids has continued to largely plateau. Actually, 7% of present ICE car homeowners intend to buy an EV subsequent time. Put in perspective, 7% of recent gasoline car homeowners in 2021 equates to roughly 1M shoppers intending to purchase an EV.
* Honda introduced an preliminary annual gross sales goal of 70,000 models for the Prologue SUV, Honda’s first new quantity battery-electric car (BEV), when it goes on sale in 2024. Following the launch of Prologue, Honda model electrified car gross sales will likely be boosted by the introduction of extra automobiles primarily based on its new e-Structure now being developed. This may take Honda to anticipated gross sales of 500,000 BEVs by 2030, and in the end resulting in one hundred pc zero emission automobiles gross sales in North America by 2040.
* Similar to VW, Toyota, Hyundai, and different automakers, Honda’s preliminary zero emission car gross sales targets of 40 % by 2030 are contingent upon honest and equitable entry to state and federal EV incentives meant to encourage American shoppers to buy electrical automobiles. Honda has urged Congress to make sure that all automobiles made in America are handled equally. Be aware: The Ford Mustang Mach-e is made in Mexico.
* Michigan was dwelling to the primary mile of paved street. Plans at the moment are in place to construct the primary mile of wi-fi charging within the nation. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer introduced the state’s intention to supervise the design and development of a roadway that can cost electrical automobiles whereas they drive – enabling automobiles, vehicles, and public transit choices that carry batteries to recharge with out stopping. With charging infrastructure sorely missing, this Inductive Car Charging Pilot is hoping to ease the adoption of electrical automobiles.
* AP studies representatives of firms together with IKEA, Nestle, Siemens, Etsy, eBay, Ben & Jerry’s and Unilever joined with environmental activists and traders to name for the broad adoption of the Superior Clear Vehicles rule. Transportation is a number one reason behind greenhouse gasoline emissions within the U.S., with vehicles being one of many prime culprits, activists stated. The rule requires producers of medium- and heavy-duty automobiles to extend gross sales of zero-emission fashions over time in states the place the coverage is put in place. The change to zero-emission vehicles additionally will assist cut back air pollution in lower-income neighborhoods, lots of which border highways, main roads and delivery facilities, and the place residents typically have well being issues like bronchial asthma.
* The 2-year eight-month auto present drought in Detroit is lastly over. A scaled-down auto present, titled Motor Bella, opened this week within the Detroit suburb of Pontiac. This outside present, in lieu of Detroit’s conventional indoor auto present, allowed followers to take take a look at rides on off-road programs and a race observe in addition to additionally take a look at drive automobiles themselves on public roads. In particular person views of the brand new 2022 Toyota Tundra, the brand new Lincoln Navigator and the GMC Hummer EV have been available. Ford confirmed the 2022 Expedition and confirmed there will likely be a Bronco Raptor in 2022.
* Sadly the drought for the Detroit present was actually ended by heavy rains. Two days of media actions have been shuffled within the final minute because of rain. Outside press conferences have been moved indoors. Persevering with heavy rain with flooding and injury to displays precipitated the second day of media actions to be canceled altogether.
* The North American Automotive, Truck and Utility Car of the 12 months (NACTOY) Awards group introduced its listing of semifinalists on the inaugural Motor Bella occasion at M1 Concourse in Pontiac. This 12 months, 23 new automobiles made the listing of semifinalists for the 2022 awards following a vote of the group’s jurors. The listing consists of eight automobiles, six vehicles and 9 utility automobiles which are all new or considerably new and are or will likely be on sale in showrooms throughout North America this 12 months. The semifinalists have been voted in from an preliminary listing of 36 eligible automobiles, vehicles and utility automobiles introduced earlier this 12 months. Click on for the complete listing. https://northamericancaroftheyear.org/2022-nactoy-semifinalists/
* In case you have been watching the Emmys final Sunday eve (delivered to you by Kia) throughout the halftime of the Baltimore Ravens-Kansas Metropolis Chiefs conflict on NBC Sports activities the all-new 2022 Toyota Tundra was present in its first official capability, by way of a world premiere industrial. The lengthy awaited (15 years) new Tundra has extra options, extra energy, extra towing capability, and extra variations. The massive V8 is gone with a twin-turbo V6 with gobs of torque now doing the job.
* Motor Pattern studies Volkswagen insiders are contemplating constructing an all-electric off-roader to go up towards the Wrangler and Bronco, and so they need to name it the Scout, reviving the basic Worldwide Harvester Scout identify for the primary time in many years. Volkswagen Group of America Chief Working Officer Johan De Nysschen floated the concept throughout a dialog with the media at a current press occasion. De Nysschen famous the bigger Volkswagen Group now owns the rights to the Scout identify by way of its industrial truck division and acknowledged the heritage and model fairness the identify carries with off-roaders. Volkswagen solely lately got here to regulate the Scout identify when its industrial truck subsidiary, Traton, merged with Navistar in July 2021.
* Reuters studies software program Volkswagen AG used to change pollutant emissions primarily based on the temperature and altitude is unlawful except it prevents probably harmful sudden injury to the engine, an adviser to the EU’s prime court docket stated. Austrian shoppers have sued, arguing the software program is supposed to defeat air pollution controls.
* Swedish carmaker Volvo Automobiles stated that its car vary will go leather-free or ‘vegan-friendly’ by 2030, providing as an alternative bio-based and recycled supplies to a buyer base that more and more needs sustainably sourced merchandise. This can be a determination pushed as a lot by studying and predicting market developments as from concern for the moral remedy of animals.
* Joe White for Reuters says San Francisco transport officers stated they’re anxious about Tesla’s plans for a wider rollout of its subsequent era automated driving know-how, aka Full Self Driving, or FSD. The manager director of the company that regulates transport within the metropolis stated regulators are involved in regards to the security report of Tesla’s Autopilot system, and stated the identify itself is an issue as a result of neither Autopilot nor the FSD improve can safely drive a automobile with out fixed human supervision. The California Division of Motor Automobiles weighed in saying, once more, that Tesla doesn’t make a self-driving automobile – ADAS is a Degree 2 system – and that it’s reviewing the usage of the time period “Full Self Driving” available in the market.
* Ford has introduced two recollects for its Mustang Mach-E electrical automobile to deal with potential issues with the panoramic roof glass and windshield. Improper bonding throughout manufacturing is blamed for each flaws. The panoramic roof could separate from the car whereas it’s in movement. This recall is for 13,544 Mustang Mach-Es. The windshields could not have been correctly bonded to 17,692 automobiles, risking detachment.
* Hyundai is recalling 13,247 Sonata Hybrids and 82,268 Tucsons from the 2017 mannequin 12 months. Engine bearings could prematurely put on out, inflicting the car to stall or, in some circumstances, to catch hearth. If bearing injury is discovered the engine will likely be changed.
* With one race left to go within the 2021 season, Honda has claimed its tenth IndyCar Producers’ Championship — courtesy of Colton Herta, Alex Palou, and Romain Grosjean sweeping the rostrum on the Grand Prix of Monterey at Laguna Seca. That is Honda’s fourth consecutive championship. The ultimate races Sunday in Lengthy Seaside to find out the motive force championship.
* Nino Vaccarella, a hero of the Targa Florio street race in his native Sicily, has died on the age of 88. Vaccarella received the Targa 3 times, first with Ferrari in 1965 after which driving for Alfa Romeo in 1971 and ’75, throughout a racing profession that included wins on the Le Mans 24 Hours and Sebring 12 Hours, along with 4 world championship Formulation 1 begins. Vaccarella received at Sebring in 1970, his final season with Ferrari. Mario Andretti sealed the victory after taking on the controls of the 512S by which Vaccarella and Ignazio Giunti had accomplished the vast majority of the race for the ultimate 55 minutes.
Keep protected. Be Properly.